Tuesday 8 June 2010

8th June 2010

It's five weeks since I last did my diary, and quite a lot on the growing front has happened;

May 12th: I sprayed with Systhane to keep White Rust at bay, and continued a fortnight later with Rose Clear.

May 14th: This was the start of looking after Rogers chrysanths and greenhouse for two weeks, and typically it was very hot.

May 18th: Fred Chafer and his wife came over, and we went out for a bar meal and a chat about chrysanths. Fred and his wife are two of the six people who I am helping along throughout the season.

May 23rd: My lad Andrew came to take down the green house from the standing ground, and it's now tucked safely away down the side of the house. It will be put back up, sometime late September.

May 26th: Mike Bottomley, another of my six, came to see how the standing ground was set out. For a first time exhibitor, he's going to do well.

May 29th: Saw me in Cornwall for a week, and Rodger reciprocated. I visited quite a few garden centres, nurseries etc, and it is disappointing to note that I didn't see any chrysanthemums, or related books on the subject. It's as if we don't exist. We have to do something, to get this glorious flower, recognised.

I have potted up 101 into clay pots so far, with 35 left. The total is made up of 115 lates and 21 earlies. All the incurves, are in 8 inch pots, the Roy Coopland are in 10 inch pots, with the remainder in pots between 8 1/2 and 9 inch.

This Saturday sees me at the inner circle meeting at the Northern Group, where I will find out how much we made at Harrogate, as well as the progress that is being made towards the Northern Group holding the the NCS AGM at Southport next year. I know its a long way away, but a date for your diaries: the North West Counties are holding a Northern Group seminar, featuring Ken Harrop at Denton West End club, on Saturday, February the 5th.

If you've got bored by now reading this, then switch off, but if you haven't, the dates I have stopped the following chrysanths are:
May 5th: Olwyn, Amber Olywn
May 7th: Bronze Gigantic (second stop)
May 10th: Primrose Charles Tandy
May 15th: Liverpool Festival
May 17th: Clarksdale
May 20th: John Hughs family
May 23rd: Milly Mathews
May 28th: Rose Pat Miller
June 6th: Woolmans Venture, Kay Woolman, Bill Holden, Roy Coopland (second stop)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home